When thinking of vegan-friendly cities, does Edinburgh come to mind? As a city steeped in history and rich with culture, it may not be the first place you’d think of when considering vegan travel. However, you might be surprised to learn that this Scottish capital is actually quite accommodating to the vegan lifestyle. So, let’s dive into everything Edinburgh has to offer for vegans!
Edinburgh has witnessed a significant rise in veganism over recent years, and with that comes an increasing number of restaurants and eateries catering to plant-based diets. From fully vegan establishments to omnivorous restaurants offering delicious vegan options, there is no shortage of places to enjoy a cruelty-free meal.
Must-Try Vegan Restaurants in Edinburgh
Here are just a few of the top-rated vegan establishments to check out while you’re in town:
- Holy Cow: A cozy café offering mouth-watering burgers, sandwiches, and desserts made from scratch using locally sourced ingredients.
- Novapizza: Who doesn’t love pizza? This entirely plant-based Italian eatery serves up scrumptious pizzas and pastas that will leave you craving more.
- Harmonium: A stylish bar and restaurant with a diverse menu featuring everything from classic pub grub like fish & chips (made with banana blossom) to innovative dishes such as seitan steak.
And these are just the tip of the iceberg! With new plant-based eateries popping up regularly, there’s always something exciting happening on the Edinburgh vegan scene.
Omnivorous Eateries with Delicious Vegan Options
Eating out with non-vegan friends or family members? No problem! Many omnivorous restaurants in Edinburgh have embraced the cruelty-free movement by incorporating vegan options into their menus. Some noteworthy examples include:
- The Pakora Bar: A popular Indian street food joint that offers a wide variety of vegan pakoras and curries.
- Bread Meats Bread: A burger joint with several mouth-watering vegan options, such as the “Vegan Sweet Home Avocado” burger.
- Hula Juice Bar: Perfect for breakfast or a light lunch, this café serves up smoothie bowls, avocado toast, and other vegan-friendly items.
Shopping for Vegan Groceries
Looking to cook your own meals? Edinburgh’s got you covered with an abundance of grocery stores stocking plant-based products. From large supermarkets like Sainsbury’s and Tesco to specialty stores like Real Foods and Planet Organic, finding ingredients for delicious vegan meals is a breeze.
Vegan Events & Communities in Edinburgh
The city doesn’t just stop at food – there are various events and communities centered around the vegan lifestyle, making it even easier to connect with like-minded individuals.
Vegan Festivals & Markets
Edinburgh is host to several vegan festivals and markets throughout the year where you can sample delicious food, attend workshops, and browse cruelty-free products:
- Edinburgh Vegan Festival: Held annually in November, this event is packed with plant-based vendors showcasing their best dishes and products.
- Leith Market: Every first Saturday of the month, Leith Market hosts a “Vegan Quarter,” featuring an array of local vegan businesses selling everything from fresh produce to artisanal chocolates.
Joining Vegan Communities
Want to connect with fellow vegans in Edinburgh? There are plenty of online communities — such as Facebook groups — where you can share tips, recipes, and recommendations on all things vegan in the city. Some popular options include:
Exploring the City: Vegan Activities & Attractions
As if the food and community aspects weren’t enough, Edinburgh offers a variety of vegan-friendly activities and attractions to keep you entertained during your visit:
- Cruelty-Free Shopping: Explore the city’s plethora of shops selling ethical clothing, cosmetics, and household products.
- Botanic Gardens: Take a stroll through the beautiful Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh to enjoy nature at its finest.
- Vegan Cooking Classes: Hone your plant-based culinary skills by attending hands-on cooking classes at venues such as The New Leaf Co-op.
In conclusion, not only is Edinburgh good for vegans — it’s an absolute haven! With an ever-growing vegan scene, numerous events and communities catering to the lifestyle, and a wide range of activities to enjoy, there’s never been a better time to visit this enchanting city. So pack your bags and get ready for a cruelty-free adventure in Scotland’s charming capital!