Sesame Crusted Tofu with Broccoli and Whole Wheat Orzo
By: Carol Aguirre MS, RD/LDN
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Yield: 3 servings
1 (14 oz) block of extra-firm tofu, drained
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
6 teaspoons soy sauce
2 large cloves garlic, grated
2-inch piece ginger, grated
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons chickpea flour (or any flour you like)
3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 bunch, chop, using florets only
WHOLE WHEAT ORZO:
1 cup orzo
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Drain the tofu. Pat dry the tofu with paper towels.
2. To make the marinade, whisk together 1 tablespoon of oil (reserving the other 1 tablespoon of oil for cooking later), the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Cut the tofu in half so you have 2 blocks, then slice into four blocks. Place the sliced tofu in the marinade and set aside in pan.
3. Toast sesame seeds. In dry pan, add the sesame seeds on medium to high heat until golden brown (about 5-10 minutes), shake pan often.
4. Pan fry broccoli in the tofu marinade (remove tofu pieces, place to side) for about 5-10 minutes .
5. Boil 2 cups of water, add olive oil, cumin, cayenne pepper, kosher salt add orzo on medium heat. Simmer until cooked, about 20-25 minutes.
6. Combine the flour and sesame seeds in a shallow dish; dredge both sides of each tofu piece in this mixture. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat; add the tofu and fry until golden on both sides, about 3 minutes on each side.
7. Remove tofu, add whole wheat orzo and broccoli onto plate and serve.
This Sesame Crusted Tofu with Broccoli and Whole Wheat Orzo is:
Full of fall flavor
Delicious for entertaining
Made with less than 10 ingredients
Easy to throw together