Savory, flavorful shakshuka with chickpeas made in 30 minutes! A hearty and healthy dish made for either for lunch or dinner!
By: Carol Aguirre MS, RD/LDN
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
Servings: (2-3 servings)
Cuisine: Middle Eastern inspired, Gluten Free, Vegan
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup diced white or purple onions
3 cloves garlic, minced (3 cloves yield ~1 1/2 Tbsp)
1 28-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
5 Tbsp tomato paste
Kosher salt to taste
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 pinch coriander (optional)
1 1/2 15-ounce cans cooked chickpeas (drained)
FOR SERVING optional
Avocado- 1/4 piece
Fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
Rice or cauliflower rice
Brown rice pasta
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft and fragrant.
2. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sea salt, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper (optional), and coriander (optional). Stir to combine.
3. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add chickpeas. Stir to combine. Then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop with the beans.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more cumin or smoked paprika for smokiness, cayenne for heat, and coriander for earthiness.
6. Serve as is or with bread, pasta, or rice. I love this with a kale salad, and it goes great over gluten-free pasta!