Nutritious, protein-dense, vegan tempeh burgers. Topped with and a vegan pesto spread. Tempeh is nutritionally dense. Highly nutritious because of the fermentation process, and is packed with protein. The fermentation process binds soybeans into a cake form. It has a strong nutty flavor, holding its shaped when cooked, but absorbs other flavors easily. This fermented soy product is high in probiotics and wide array of vitamins ans minerals. Tempeh and other fermented foods help increase the amount of beneficial bacteria in the gut, which has huge effects on health!
We combined the tempeh in a food processor with sauteed vegetables to form a nutty delicious patty, you will thoroughly enjoy!
Tempeh Burger with Vegan Pesto
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
8 ounces tempeh
2 cups vegetable broth
3/4 cup red onion chopped
3/4 cup bell button mushrooms chopped
5 cloves garlic chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
1 flax egg*
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F
Slice tempeh into strips and place into a medium pot on medium-high heat. Cover with vegetable broth and bring to boil. Once broth is boiling, reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Drain vegetable broth and set tempeh aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add chopped red onion, mushrooms, and chopped garlic. Cook until soft, stirring frequently.
4. Meanwhile, make a *flax egg by combining 1 tablespoon of flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
5. Then, add all ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until combined. At this point, the mixture will be very thick and you may need to transfer to a bowl and combine with a spoon.
6. Using both hands, take a small handful of the mixture and roll into a ball. Then, press the ball between your palms to make a patty, depending on the size of the buns you're using. We used about 5 inches.
7. Serving Suggestion: Toast buns and spread vegan pesto on bottom and top bun, add slice of tomato and olives (optional). Add with your favorite veggie(s), we combined with kale. May add jalapeños peppers if you want a spicy kick.
This lemon pesto is earthy, aromatic, and bright. With only six simple ingredients, blending this up is quick and easy.
2 big handful fresh parsley (no stems)
1/3 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
5 cloves fresh garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Place all ingredients into a food processor or high speed blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes.